Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We have wild hair.

After I was a child, my hair had been a nuisance. It tangled easily and so i hated it when my mother taught me to sit still for which seemed like hours so she could comb it out. The comb would catch a knot and pull at my scalp, bringing tears to my eyes and howls of protests. Even worse, strangers we met on the street wanted to run their fingers through my hair. I still detest my kindergarten teacher because she would comb my curls together fingers every day whenever i arrived for class. I became great at hiding behind other children when we entered the entranceway, in an attempt to elude her keen eyes.

As a teenager, my curly hair was the bane of my existence. I desperately wanted silky long straight hair like my girlfriends. They wore shoulder-length bobs that appeared to float in the wind, silky strands of (mostly) blond beauty that we coveted with all my being. Or they pulled their hair way back in smooth pony tails that bounced gracefully with each step they took.

My hair was a mess of thick ringlets, each coil doing what it really desired to do - bouncing off in a direction that I had no power over. At some time, I grew a pony tail, pulling it back as straight as I could, holding my breath and clenching my teeth versus the pain once i pulled the strands back as hard as I could. I needed bangs like my friends then i would smooth globs of hair product on my small bangs, tape them down across my forehead and paste them set up with the hair drier. When I removed the tape, the bangs stayed where they were, thick strands of dark brown spaghetti plastered across my forehead.

But alas! Within an hour the very first hairs would set out to escape the ponytail, falling in curly whorls across my cheeks. By mid-morning, more curls would join them, some choosing to head up, down or across. In regards to the time I sat down for lunch, the glue on my small bangs gives way and in addition they would bounce upwards to participate in the rest of my curly mop. As I finally shut down the ponytail and went back in curly bob, my friends sighed in relief and said exactly how much better I looked.

To be a young adult, I not just got to terms with my curly hair but learned to savor it for your easy care it provided me. I kept it short and called it "wash and wear" hair. I even started to take advantage of the compliments I would personally get using their company women on my easy care hair. Then I gave birth to a daughter who has been born with red curls. When the nurse brought her to me, she had tied a blue ribbon around a few of the top curls and she was, without a doubt, the most wonderful child within the nursery. I forgot about my early fight with my curls and was unprepared when she reached her teens and began a similar odyssey that I had endured.

Similar to me, she fought her curls and worked even harder than I needed at attempting to tame her hair and force it in to the long straight kinds of her classmates. And just like me, she had been a young adult before she realized how beautiful her strawberry blonde ringlets were and started to encourage the curls to cascade to her shoulders in a natural way that, for this day, elicits words of admiration from friends, family and strangers.

And today she provides a daughter, our granddaughter, who turned eight a couple weeks ago. You will find, she has wild hair and yes, she hates it. However, our granddaughter ("S") is part African-American so her curls are tighter than her mother's and her grandmother's and her hair includes a different texture. It tangles very easily and is also tough to comb out. And, you guessed it, she desperately wants long, smooth shoulder- length hair!

My daughter has brought "S" for the beauty shop many times in order to get her hair combed out although the experience has ended up with "S" in tears and her hair still in tangles. Finally my daughter brought her to your beauty shop who specializes in styling African-American women's hair as well as her birthday, she had a scheduled visit within the shop. And I Also was invited along.

First, the stylist had to have the knots out. This has been an extensive, arduous m